World · Transatlantic security
Rubio seeks to calm NATO allies as France warns of growing cracks in alliance
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio arrived in Brussels insisting American commitment to NATO remains ironclad, but French Foreign Minister Jean-Noël Barrot said the alliance is being tested by President Trump's latest decisions, while European capitals quietly prepare for a possible US troop drawdown.
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio landed in Brussels on Thursday with a message of reassurance: the United States remains fully committed to NATO, its troop presence in Europe is stable, and President Donald Trump wants a stronger alliance. Yet the reception he received told a different story. French Foreign Minister Jean-Noël Barrot, speaking before the NATO foreign ministers meeting, declared the alliance "being tested by the decisions taken and announced yesterday by President Trump," a blunt assessment that laid bare the depth of European anxiety.
France sounds the alarm over alliance cohesion
Barrot's language was deliberate. France does not use the phrase "being tested" lightly; it signals a structural concern rather than a tactical disagreement. The decisions he referenced, Trump's warmer rhetoric toward Russian President Vladimir Putin, his public criticism of NATO partners including Canada and Denmark, and a new round of global tariffs that hit European economies, have accumulated into what Paris sees as a pattern. For a country that has long championed European strategic autonomy, the current moment validates a decades-old argument: that Europe cannot outsource its security to Washington indefinitely.
The French position carries weight because it reflects a broader European consensus that has been building since Trump's return to the White House. Officials across the continent have spent months drafting contingency plans for a scenario in which the US security guarantee becomes conditional or unreliable. Barrot's public warning is the diplomatic equivalent of a fire alarm: it forces the conversation into the open, where it can no longer be managed through quiet channels alone.
Rubio's reassurance mission meets scepticism
Standing alongside NATO Secretary-General Mark Rutte, Rubio dismissed what he called "hysteria and hyperbole" in the media over the US role in the alliance. "The United States is as active in NATO as it has ever been," he told reporters. "President Trump has made clear he supports NATO. We're going to remain in NATO. We want it to be stronger and more visible, and that means our partners, the member states, must continue to build their capabilities." The formulation was carefully calibrated: commitment affirmed, but burden-sharing reiterated as the price of that commitment.
Newly appointed US Ambassador to NATO Matt Whitaker echoed the line. "Under President Trump's leadership, NATO will be stronger and more effective than ever before," he said, before adding the qualifier that the alliance's vitality depends on all members "doing their fair share." The phrase has become a refrain in Washington, but in European capitals it now sounds less like a negotiating position and more like a precondition for continued engagement. The gap between the two readings is where the crisis lives.
Greenland friction lingers beneath the surface
On the sidelines of the gathering, Rubio met Danish Foreign Minister Lars Løkke Rasmussen. Neither commented when asked about Greenland, the semi-autonomous Danish territory that Trump previously floated purchasing. The silence was telling. Copenhagen has treated the episode as a serious breach of diplomatic norms, not a passing eccentricity. For Denmark, a founding NATO member that has contributed forces to every major alliance operation since the 1990s, the suggestion that its territory could be the subject of a transactional offer from its principal ally was a jolt to the foundations of the relationship.
The Greenland issue has not gone away. Danish officials continue to brief that the episode damaged trust in ways that routine reassurances cannot repair. It also complicated the Arctic security picture: Greenland hosts the US Pituffik Space Base, a critical node in missile warning and space surveillance. Any perception that the host nation's sovereignty is negotiable undermines the legal and political basis for the American presence. Rubio's meeting with Rasmussen was an opportunity to turn the page; the mutual silence suggests the page has not turned.
Troop drawdown fears fuel European contingency planning
The most concrete source of alarm came not from Brussels but from Washington. Senator Roger Wicker, the Republican chair of the Senate Armed Services Committee, publicly rebuked what he described as "mid-level" Pentagon officials for allegedly pushing an uncoordinated plan to "drastically reduce" US troop levels in Europe. The Defence Department has not confirmed the claims, but the fact that a senior Republican, and a Trump ally, felt compelled to go public indicates the concern is real and bipartisan.
US troop numbers in Europe have fluctuated since the Cold War peak of roughly 400,000. They stood at around 64,000 before Russia's full-scale invasion of Ukraine in 2022, rose to over 100,000 at the height of the reinforcement, and have since settled near 80,000 according to Pentagon figures. A "drastic reduction" would imply a return to pre-2022 levels or lower, a move that would strip the alliance of the conventional deterrent posture built over the past three years. European planners have taken note: several countries are convinced a significant drawdown is on the horizon, regardless of what is said in Brussels.
Europe accelerates burden-shifting as insurance
Dutch Foreign Minister Caspar Veldkamp articulated the emerging European response with unusual candour. "The US expects European allies to take more responsibility for their own security," he said. "That means European NATO countries must quickly strengthen the European pillar of NATO and increase defence spending." The phrase "European pillar" is code for a force structure that can operate credibly without American enablers, air-to-air refuelling, intelligence-surveillance-reconnaissance, strategic lift, and the nuclear umbrella. Building those capabilities takes years and hundreds of billions of euros.
The shift is already visible in procurement. Germany's Zeitenwende fund, Poland's massive armour orders, the Franco-German Main Ground Combat System, and the European Defence Industrial Strategy all predate Trump's second term but have acquired new urgency. NATO's new defence plans, agreed at the Vilnius summit in 2023, require 300,000 troops at high readiness and a logistics backbone that currently depends heavily on US assets. If those assets withdraw, the plans become aspirational. European governments know this, which is why the conversation in Brussels has moved from whether to prepare for US retrenchment to how fast they can move.
Rutte walks the tightrope
Mark Rutte, nine months into his term as Secretary-General, has the unenviable task of holding the alliance together while neither alienating Washington nor pretending the tensions do not exist. "These issues are not new," he said of the burden-sharing debate. "There are no plans for [US forces] to all of a sudden draw down their presence here in Europe." The wording, "all of a sudden", was a lawyer's caveat. It rules out a precipitate withdrawal but leaves the door open for a phased reduction. Rutte knows that his credibility with European allies depends on not sounding like a White House spokesman, while his utility to Washington depends on keeping the alliance functional.
Behind closed doors, the mood is less sanguine. Diplomats describe a "watchful" atmosphere, with ministers trading intelligence assessments on US force posture reviews and White House personnel moves. The appointment of Whitaker, a Trump loyalist with no prior NATO experience, as ambassador was read in European capitals as a signal that the alliance will be managed politically rather than professionally. Rutte's challenge is to ensure that political management does not become political neglect.
Sources
People mentioned
Caspar Veldkamp
Roger Wicker
Organisations
NATO · United States Department of State · Government of France · Government of the Netherlands · United States Senate · Government of Denmark