Skip to content

Europe · Analysis

Independent · Brussels & Berlin

Politics · Migration

EU migration chief rebukes Spain over regularisation plan after Ceuta crisis

Magnus Brunner says regularising 500,000 undocumented migrants sends the wrong signal, as ministers meet to contain fallout from 72,000 arrivals in the Spanish enclave.

By , Europe Correspondent

Published

7 min read

The European Union's migration commissioner, Magnus Brunner, has broken ranks with the carefully choreographed unity of Tuesday's emergency ministerial meeting by declaring that Spain's plan to regularise half a million undocumented migrants sends "definitely not a good signal for the rest of Europe." The remark, delivered after a video conference of interior ministers convened to draw a line under the Ceuta crisis, exposed the persistent fault lines that the EU's new migration pact was supposed to paper over.

Ceuta crisis tests external border resilience

Last week, roughly 72,000 people crossed into Ceuta, the Spanish enclave on the North African coast, in a surge that Madrid and Rabat both described as orchestrated. Spanish authorities put the death toll at a minimum of 75, while Ceuta officials raised the figure to 88, with at least 11 more bodies recovered on the Moroccan side. By Tuesday, Interior Minister Fernando Grande-Marlaska told reporters that about 70,000 of those who entered had already left the territory, and none had reached mainland Spain or the Schengen zone.

Brunner characterised the episode as "a test of our resilience" and of the EU's external border. He insisted the situation was under control, a line echoed by Grande-Marlaska, who described the ministerial meeting as constructive and said member states had recognised Madrid's "immediate and efficient" response. Yet the consensus frayed the moment the conversation turned to Spain's domestic regularisation scheme.

Regularisation plan divides capitals

Spain's government is processing applications from undocumented migrants and asylum seekers, a programme heavily weighted toward Latin Americans who share language and cultural ties with Spain. Nearly 1.2 million people have applied. The scheme was not on the formal agenda of Tuesday's meeting, but it loomed over the discussion. Twenty-two member states, coordinated by Italy and Denmark, had already signed a letter arguing that the regularisation acts as a "pull factor" for "illegal migration", language that mirrors the framing used by right-wing and nationalist parties across the continent.

Asked directly about the policy, Brunner acknowledged it is a national competence and said he understood Spain's rationale. "I do understand that it is a member state's competence. And I do understand that Spain did it because it's mainly about Latin Americans speaking the same language, having the same culture, but the signal for the rest of Europe is not a good one, definitely not." The phrasing, repeated twice for emphasis, was a rare public rebuke from a commissioner toward a member state's sovereign migration decision.

Schengen tensions surface over Italian border checks

Italy responded to the Ceuta surge by reintroducing air and sea border checks with Spain for one month, a move Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez dismissed as driven by "prejudice, fake news, ignorance and political interest." Brunner declined to criticise Rome, saying any suspension of Schengen rules must be proportionate and temporary, but adding: "I have some understanding of this reaction of the Italians, because the citizens are concerned." The comment underscored how quickly the principle of free movement becomes negotiable when migration spikes, even modest ones, hit the headlines.

France's interior minister, Laurent Nuñez, struck a different tone. He said ministers had agreed the Schengen zone was "not the problem," and France was one of the few countries not to sign the letter of 22. Paris did, however, step up its own controls, a reminder that Schengen suspensions have become a routine tool of domestic politics rather than an exceptional safeguard.

Five-point plan and the migration pact

Ministers broadly endorsed a five-point plan set out by Commission President Ursula von der Leyen. The proposals include an early-warning system, better cooperation with non-EU countries on migration, reinforced returns, stronger external borders, and continued action against smuggling networks. The Council statement emphasised "situational awareness" through "pre-frontier intelligence and social media monitoring" and efforts to "counter malicious external actors engaged in foreign information manipulation and interference."

Brunner stressed the need to implement the EU's migration pact, which entered into force in June after years of negotiation. The pact was the bloc's legislative answer to the 2015-16 crisis, when more than a million people sought asylum. Yet Greece's prime minister, Kyriákos Mitsotákis, used a Politico article to argue that the pact lacks tools for "exceptional situations of extreme and disproportionate pressure." He called for the power to suspend asylum applications for new arrivals when a country faces deliberate instrumentalisation of migration by state or non-state actors.

Greece pushes for emergency powers beyond the pact

Brunner disagreed. "The pact does offer solutions for this," he said, while not ruling out future changes and noting that EU leaders would discuss a "strategic way forward." The exchange highlighted a structural tension: frontline states such as Greece and Italy want discretionary emergency powers, while the Commission guards the integrity of a common asylum system that took nearly a decade to agree. Mitsotákis's intervention suggests Athens may test the pact's limits the next time arrivals surge.

Disinformation probe and the numbers behind the politics

The EU's foreign policy service is investigating whether Russian disinformation played a role in the Ceuta surge, though Brunner said it was too early to reach conclusions. The suggestion that a foreign power might weaponise migration flows is not new, Belarus engineered a crisis on the Polish border in 2021, but evidence remains thin in this case. What is clear from Frontex data is that irregular crossings across the EU fell to 178,000 in 2025, a 26% drop on the previous year and the lowest since 2021, when pandemic restrictions suppressed movement. Spain recorded 36,683 irregular arrivals, significantly fewer than Italy's 66,328, Greece's 51,399, or the 65,891 attempted and successful crossings to the United Kingdom.

Those figures complicate the narrative of a continent under siege. Yet the political salience of migration has not diminished. Far-right and nationalist parties continue to outflank mainstream rivals, and the Ceuta episode, however brief, handed them fresh ammunition. The regularisation plan, designed partly to regularise long-term residents and address labour shortages, has become a symbol in a broader argument about whether Europe's migration governance is credible.

Sources

  1. the Guardian

    theguardian.com · 2026-08-04

People mentioned

  • Magnus Brunner

    European Commissioner for Migration, European Commission

  • Fernando Grande-Marlaska

    Interior Minister, Government of Spain

  • Ursula von der Leyen

    President, European Commission

  • Kyriákos Mitsotákis

    Prime Minister, Government of Greece

  • Laurent Nuñez

    Interior Minister, Government of France

  • Morten Bødsko

    Interior Minister, Government of Denmark

Organisations

European Commission · European Council · Frontex · Government of Spain · Government of Italy · Government of Greece

Related analysis

Selected because they share topics with this article

The newsletter

One important European story. Explained properly.

Delivered to your inbox on the days we publish. No daily digest, no push notifications, no advertising.

We store your address only to send the briefing. Unsubscribe in one click.