Europe · European security
NATO warns it will defend allies as Iran reportedly eyes US bases in Europe
A Financial Times report that Tehran considered strikes on American military sites in Europe has prompted Bulgaria to tighten security at Bezmer Air Base, where 250 US personnel are stationed.
NATO has declared itself prepared to defend all allies after a report that Iran has considered striking American military installations on European soil, a development that pulls the European continent directly into the strategic calculations of the six-month-old US-Israel war on Iran.
The alliance's statement on Wednesday 19 August came in response to a Financial Times article reporting that Iranian planners have looked at US military locations across Europe as potential targets. The disclosure has immediate consequences for southeastern European states that host American forces, and for the broader question of whether the ceasefire framework between Washington and Tehran survives at all.
NATO's response and the missile precedent
"NATO is prepared to address any threat and will always do what is necessary to defend all Allies," an unnamed NATO official said in a statement. The wording is standard for alliance declarations, but the context is not. NATO chose to accompany it with a specific claim: that the alliance intercepted four ballistic missiles Iran launched towards Turkey earlier this year. That detail, attributed to the official without further specification, was offered as proof that NATO's deterrence posture is, in the official's phrase, "strong and effective" against outside threats.
The interception reference matters because it establishes that Iran has already fired weapons at NATO territory, even if those launches were directed at Turkey rather than at American bases. It also reframes the alliance's role from theoretical guarantor to active participant. Turkey, a NATO member, has been a recurring flashpoint in regional escalations, and the alliance's willingness to cite those interceptions publicly suggests it wants Tehran to understand that previous missile launches did not go unchallenged.
What remains unclear is whether the Financial Times report describes active Iranian planning, a contingency assessment, or intelligence about discussions within Iran's military leadership. The distinction matters. Considering a strike is not the same as preparing one, and intelligence assessments of adversary deliberations are often fragmentary. NATO's statement did not address that question, nor did it say whether the alliance had raised the matter directly with Tehran.
Bulgaria moves beyond the assessed threat
The country most immediately affected is Bulgaria. In July, its parliament approved the use of Bezmer Air Base as a refuelling station for American military aircraft and authorised roughly 250 US military personnel to be stationed there until October. That decision, taken as part of Bulgaria's contributions to the alliance's eastern flank posture, now places a Bulgarian facility in the crosshairs of Iranian strategic thinking.
Interior Minister Ivan Demerdzhiev told Bulgaria's BTA news agency that the government had taken "all possible measures" at the base, working in coordination with the Ministry of Defence. What stood out in his remarks was not the assurance itself but the gap he described between the security response and the assessed threat. Bulgaria, he said, was implementing measures "far more extensive and intensive than the level of threat indicated by the information available at the moment."
That formulation raises two possibilities. Either Bulgarian security services believe the intelligence picture is incomplete and the real threat is higher than what they can confirm, or the government has decided to overcompensate visibly to reassure both its American partners and its own public. In practice, both explanations may hold. Bulgaria has invested heavily in its NATO credentials since Russia's invasion of Ukraine, and a visible security posture at Bezmer serves that political purpose as much as any operational requirement.
Iran's warning to Sofia
Iran has not left Bulgaria's position in doubt. Shortly after the July parliamentary vote allowing US forces to use Bezmer, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi contacted his Bulgarian counterpart to deliver a direct warning. According to Iran's Tasnim News Agency, Araghchi reminded the Bulgarian government that "any party that participates in any way in carrying out a military attack against Iran will certainly have to accept responsibility for its consequences."
The phrasing is deliberately broad. "Any party" and "in any way" are not legal terms of art; they are political signals designed to make host governments think hard about what hosting American logistics actually entails. A refuelling station is not a strike base, but in Iran's framing, the distinction between combat and support functions appears irrelevant. Bulgaria is providing the infrastructure that allows American aircraft to operate. That, in Tehran's view, makes Sofia a participant.
The warning also serves a broader Iranian objective: to fracture the coalition supporting the US-Israel campaign by making individual governments weigh the costs of their involvement. If Bulgaria, or any other southeastern European state, concludes that hosting American assets brings more risk than it is worth, Iran gains without firing a shot.
Southeastern Europe's exposure
Bulgaria is not the only country in the region with American military infrastructure. Romania hosts a US missile defence site at Deveselu. Greece provides access to Souda Bay on Crete. The British sovereign base areas at Akrotiri and Dhekelia in Cyprus have already been struck by a drone since the conflict began in February, the only European location to have been hit so far. Each of these facilities supports American operations in different ways, from logistics to intelligence to strike missions, and each represents a potential point of Iranian leverage.
The southeastern European states face a particular dilemma. They joined NATO to gain security guarantees against Russia. Those guarantees require them to host alliance infrastructure, which in turn makes them visible to other adversaries. The assumption, when accession decisions were made, was that the primary threat came from the east. Iran's reported interest in European targets adds a southern dimension that existing force structures and threat assessments were not designed to address.
For smaller allies like Bulgaria, the calculation is acute. Sofia cannot easily refuse American requests for base access without damaging its standing within NATO. Nor can it ignore the possibility that hosting those forces makes it a target for an adversary it had no direct quarrel with. The government's decision to exceed the assessed threat level at Bezmer suggests it takes that risk seriously, even if it does not say so publicly.
The collapsed ceasefire framework
Behind the immediate security concerns lies a diplomatic void. The United States and Iran signed a memorandum of understanding in June aimed at ending hostilities. That agreement set a deadline for the two countries to reach a permanent settlement. The deadline expired on Monday 18 August. No negotiations are currently taking place.
The expiration matters because it removes whatever thin constraints the June agreement imposed on both sides. During the MOU's brief life, neither the US nor Iran fully suspended military operations, but both had an incentive to limit escalation while a diplomatic off-ramp appeared to exist. With that off-ramp closed, and no talks scheduled, the constraints on Iranian planning for strikes on European targets, if the Financial Times report is accurate, are purely practical: what Iran can reach, and what it believes it can attempt without triggering a response that outweighs the benefit.
The timing of the FT report, coming days after the MOU's expiration, may not be coincidental. Intelligence about Iranian contingency planning could have been held back while the diplomatic track remained formally open, and released or leaked once it became clear that no permanent agreement would follow.
What the alliance must now weigh
NATO's statement was brief and unsurprising. The alliance was always going to say it would defend its members. The harder questions are about capability and credibility, and about how European governments manage the gap between hosting American forces and absorbing the risk that comes with them.
The four intercepted missiles heading towards Turkey demonstrate that NATO's air and missile defence systems can work under real conditions. But those were isolated launches. A coordinated Iranian attack on multiple European locations, even using drones or cruise missiles rather than ballistic weapons, would test the alliance's layered defences in ways that four isolated intercepts do not predict.
For now, the immediate question is whether the Financial Times report reflects current Iranian intent, or whether it captures a contingency that Tehran has since moved away from. The answer is unlikely to become public. What is visible is the response on the ground: Bulgaria tightening security at Bezmer, NATO issuing a statement that goes beyond boilerplate by citing specific intercepts, and Iran reminding European governments that hosting American forces carries a price.
Sources
People mentioned
Ivan Demerdzhiev
Abbas Araghchi
Organisations
North Atlantic Treaty Organization · Government of Bulgaria · Government of Iran