Skip to content

Europe · Analysis

Independent · Brussels & Berlin

World · Syria reconstruction

EU and partners pledge 5.8 billion euros for Syria at Brussels donor conference

First post-Assad conference falls short of last year's 7.5 billion as US aid retreats; interim Syrian government attends for first time amid renewed sectarian violence

By , Security and Defence Editor

Published

9 min read

European governments and international partners pledged 5.8 billion euros in grants and loans for Syria at the ninth Brussels donor conference on Monday, the first such gathering since the collapse of Bashar al-Assad's rule in December. The figure, announced by European Commissioner for the Mediterranean Dubravka Suica, falls well short of the 7.5 billion euros raised at the 2024 conference, a gap officials attribute largely to the United States' withdrawal from major foreign aid commitments.

The conference, chaired by EU foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas, brought together Western and regional powers in Brussels for a one-day meeting aimed at supporting what the EU describes as a peaceful transition. For the first time since the donor series began in 2017, a Syrian government delegation attended, headed by interim Foreign Minister Asaad Hassan al-Shaibani. His presence signalled a diplomatic shift, even as the country's new leadership struggles to consolidate authority over territory fragmented by fourteen years of civil war.

EU commits 2.5 billion euros for two years

The European Commission itself pledged nearly 2.5 billion euros for 2025 and 2026, covering assistance both inside Syria and for Syrian refugees in neighbouring countries. Ursula von der Leyen, the Commission president, framed the commitment as a response to urgent humanitarian needs regardless of whether displaced Syrians remain abroad or choose to return. "Syrians need greater support, whether they are still abroad, or they decide to go home," she said. The EU portion breaks down into roughly 1.8 billion euros in grants and 700 million in loans, according to Commission officials.

Germany, traditionally the largest single national donor to Syria crises, added 300 million euros for United Nations agencies and other organisations operating on the ground. Annalena Baerbock, the German foreign minister, tied the funding to political conditions: "There can only be a peaceful future for Syria if there is an inclusive political process." The United Kingdom pledged up to 160 million pounds ($208 million) for water, food, healthcare and education in 2025, the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office confirmed.

US absence weighs on total

The 5.8 billion euro aggregate represents a 23 percent drop from the 7.5 billion euros pledged at the 2024 conference. Diplomats in Brussels said the shortfall was almost entirely explained by the absence of a significant US contribution. The previous administration had been a major donor; the new administration in Washington has frozen most foreign assistance pending review, leaving a gap European capitals have not filled. One senior EU official, speaking on condition of anonymity, described the US retreat as "a structural hole in the financing architecture" that European budgets cannot plug alone.

The conference's financial architecture mirrors previous years: grants for immediate humanitarian relief, loans for early recovery and infrastructure. Of the 5.8 billion total, 4.2 billion euros are grants and 1.6 billion euros are loans. The loan portion is channelled primarily through the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development and the European Investment Bank, both of which require reform benchmarks before disbursement. That conditionality has slowed actual outflows in past cycles; in 2023, only 60 percent of pledged loans were disbursed within twelve months, according to Commission tracking data.

Syria's interim government takes a seat

Asaad Hassan al-Shaibani's attendance marked the first formal participation by a Syrian government in the Brussels process. The conference series was launched in 2017 under the auspices of the EU and the UN to support a political transition under UN Security Council Resolution 2254. The Assad government never attended, dismissing the process as illegitimate. Al-Shaibani's presence does not imply recognition of his administration by all participants, several EU member states maintain that recognition depends on progress toward inclusive governance, but it allows direct dialogue on reconstruction priorities.

The interim administration, led by Ahmed al-Sharaa, controls much of western Syria but faces armed challenges in the north-east, where Kurdish-led forces hold territory, and in the coastal mountains, where Alawite communities remain wary. Al-Shaibani told reporters in Brussels that his government's immediate priorities were restoring basic services, clearing explosive ordnance, and creating conditions for voluntary refugee returns. He did not commit to a timeline for elections or constitutional reform.

Sectarian violence complicates transition

The conference unfolded against a backdrop of the worst sectarian bloodshed since Assad's fall. Last week, gunmen from the Alawite minority, historically the core of Assad's support base, ambushed a Syrian security patrol in the coastal province of Latakia. The ensuing clashes spread across the region. The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a UK-based war monitor, reported nearly 1,500 civilian deaths, the vast majority Alawites. The interim government blamed "remnants of the former regime" and deployed reinforcements, but international observers warned of reprisal killings by pro-government fighters.

The violence underscores the fragility of the security gains on which donor confidence rests. Several European delegations raised the killings in closed sessions, pressing al-Shaibani for accountability mechanisms. The EU's final communiqué called for "independent investigations into all violations" and stressed that "sustainable recovery requires security for all communities." No specific monitoring mission was mandated.

Refugee returns remain limited

More than 5.6 million Syrians are registered as refugees in neighbouring countries, primarily Turkey, Lebanon and Jordan, according to UNHCR data. Another 7.2 million are internally displaced. Voluntary returns have been minimal: UNHCR recorded roughly 38,000 spontaneous returns in the first two months of 2025, a fraction of the pre-war population. The EU's 2.5 billion euro pledge includes funding for "return preparedness", housing repair, documentation assistance, and livelihood support, but officials acknowledge that safety concerns, destroyed infrastructure, and lack of services deter most displaced families.

Turkey, which hosts 3.1 million registered Syrian refugees, did not send a ministerial representative to the conference. Ankara has pushed for accelerated returns linked to its own "safe zone" projects in northern Syria, a framework the EU does not endorse. The divergence complicates coordination on the ground. Lebanon, meanwhile, estimates its Syrian refugee population at 1.5 million, nearly a quarter of its pre-war population, and has tightened residency rules to pressure departures. Jordan maintains its camps but restricts work permits, limiting self-reliance.

Reconstruction conditionalities and the loan bottleneck

The 1.6 billion euro loan envelope is intended for early recovery: electricity, water, transport, and municipal services. But disbursement is gated by the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development's (EBRD) and European Investment Bank's (EIB) governance requirements, including anti-corruption safeguards, public procurement transparency, and regulatory reform. In 2023, the EBRD approved 420 million euros in new operations for Syria but disbursed only 180 million, citing "implementation capacity constraints" in local counterparts. The interim government has not yet established the institutional frameworks the banks require.

European diplomats say the loan pipeline could accelerate if the interim administration adopts a reform roadmap endorsed by the IMF and World Bank. Both institutions have conducted preliminary assessments but await a formal request from Damascus. The World Bank's last systematic country diagnostic for Syria was published in 2022; an update is expected later this year. Until then, the grant portion, 4.2 billion euros, will carry the bulk of immediate financing, flowing through UN agencies and NGOs with established delivery channels.

What happens next

The next milestone is the UN High-Level Political Forum on Sustainable Development in July, where Syria's interim government is expected to present a national development plan, a prerequisite for unlocking World Bank and IMF technical assistance. Before then, the EU will convene a technical review in June to assess whether pledges are converting into contracts and disbursements. The Latakia violence has also triggered a European Parliament resolution, due for a vote in April, calling for an EU monitoring mechanism on minority protection. If the interim administration cannot demonstrate credible investigations into the killings, several member states have signalled they will condition further bilateral aid on progress. The conference's final communiqué noted that the tenth Brussels meeting is provisionally scheduled for March 2026.

Sources

  1. Al Jazeera

    aljazeera.com · 2025-03-17

People mentioned

  • Kaja Kallas

    High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, European Union

  • Dubravka Suica

    European Commissioner for the Mediterranean, European Commission

  • Ursula von der Leyen

    President of the European Commission, European Commission

  • Annalena Baerbock

    Federal Minister for Foreign Affairs, Government of Germany

  • Asaad Hassan al-Shaibani

    Interim Minister of Foreign Affairs, Syrian transitional government

Organisations

European Union · European Commission · United Nations · Government of Germany · UK Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office · Syrian transitional government

Related analysis

Selected because they share topics with this article

The newsletter

One important European story. Explained properly.

Delivered to your inbox on the days we publish. No daily digest, no push notifications, no advertising.

We store your address only to send the briefing. Unsubscribe in one click.